Pages

Sunday 31 March 2013

The Slaw {homemade coleslaw}

Happy Easter to you all!

It's been a very busy day in AnneeApple land but lots of fun too.  Hubber is working night shifts this weekend, so as he came home it was time for us to get up.  Baby, big girl and I made some Easter Baskets this morning... some sewing with ribbon and lots of stickers in preparation for our Easter Egg hunt later on, which was lots of fun!

Easter Egg Hunt
Easter Egg Hunt in the garden {with bubbles too and Gran and Grandad}

Whilst baby napped I prepared dinner... I didn't do the traditional Easter Sunday Roast as it's big girl's 19th Birthday tomorrow and she wants to go to The Carvery for dinner.  I bought in some quiche {not had quiche in so long} and made my homemade 'The Slaw' and rustic wedges with roast onion and cheese {posh for chip n cheese}... here's the recipes:

The Slaw

This is so simple and once you make homemade you'll not buy shop bought again... {this served 5 as a side portion and there is still a little left}

3 carrots
1 red onion
1/4 of {the above} white cabbage
250ml mayo {I use Tesco or Asda Lighter than Light}
Sprinkle of mixed dried herbs
Splash of malt vinegar
Pinch of salt
Pinch of sugar

I use my vegetable peeler to peel the carrots into very thin ribbons, cut the red onion and cabbage into very thin strips.  Into a tub {one with a lid} put the mayo, big splash of malt vinegar, herbs, salt and sugar and stir until combined.  Toss in the veg and stir {If you need to add more mayo that's fine, just add until it's the right consistency... if it's too wet just add more veg}.  Put the lid on and give it a good shake.

This is best left in the fridge over night but if you're not that prepared {like me today} then leaving it a few hours is fine too.  Let me know if you make this and how you get on, I love it and I'm keen to know what others think of it.


Rustic Potato and Roast Onion Wedges with Cheese

We all like chips right?  This is a posh{er} version.

Chop the potatoes and a white onion into wedge chunks and put in an oven tray, drizzle with some sunflower oil and sprinkle with some dried Rosemary.  Cook in oven for 40mins {turning half way through}... for the last 5mins of cooking add grated cheese over the top {as much as you like for your own taste}... Mmmm loved these, very tasty!! {I forgot to take a photo of the finished dish... oops!}

Now to think of next week's Meal Plan... this week's went to pot as my oven broke! More on that tomorrow!

A x



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
Made your coleslaw recipe and it was delicious. I shall certainly be making this again. Thanks Maggie

AnneeApple said...

Great to hear Maggie, glad you liked it x