Pages

Wednesday 20 March 2013

{stuff}

Is it just me or is the world moving way to fast?  There is always far too much to do and never enough hours in the day...  this week has been a blur!

You'll have heard (or be sick of hearing) that I've been under the weather, it's just been the cold / flu virus that everyone's had but it really drags you down... If I had the option of going to bed for a day or two to try and sleep it off it may not have lasted so long but that option just isn't there, not when you have a toddler!  So, after nearly 4 weeks of feeling yuk, I eventually went to the Dr as I was in some pain... I have a paraumbilical hernia from all the coughing and vomiting... great!  There is a chance I may need surgery to repair it.  I've to have some test this week and the decision will be made on the results.

On a happy note, I signed up to join #PostCircle  (<< click to find out more).  I'm so excited and can't wait to receive my first letter.  I am on Team Vole and there are 6 members... I sent my first letter out a few days ago and I created my own letter paper and envelope... I hope they withstood the journey!

my stationery

I've managed to stick to my Meal Plan for this week so far and tonight's slow cooker ham with fried rice was very tasty indeed!  

Here's my method:

A ham joint... not an expensive one as slow cooking it makes it so tender... simply covered with water and slow cooked on low for 8 hours.

Rice... I use what I call the 'Riddock Rice' method (as my friends shared their method with me and it's FOOL PROOF)... to serve two I use half a cup of basmati rice and put this into a pot, add a pinch of salt and any herbs / spice you like (you don't have to, a pinch of salt can be enough), add a splash of oil (sunflower or olive oil) and stir until the grains of rice have some oil on.  Then add twice the amount of boiling water (so I'd use one cup of boiling water as I used half a cup of rice) and stir again.  Then pop the lid on the pot, put the gas onto a low peep and cook for 12mins (DO NOT STIR)... turn the heat off and leave to stand, with the pot lid still on, for another 12mins (DO NOT STIR DURING THIS TIME)... after the 24mins you can take the lid off and stir.... perfect rice!

Whilst the rice was resting I chopped up some onion, red pepper, green pepper and mushroom and gently cooked in some oil when the rice was ready I added that, plus some sweetcorn and some slow cooked ham, 2 tablespoons of soya sauce and cooked / stirred for a few minutes until all heated through...  Serve and enjoy!  I love this kind of dish as I can have some leftovers the next day for lunch (I love cold rice).



I'm really looking forward to my Pastry Ring on Saturday, it was so tasty last time I made it, fingers crossed it works out the same!

What have you been up to?

Ax

No comments: