Pages

Friday 23 November 2012

Slow cooking and coffee

The slow cooker has been dusted off this week and we've used it twice.... yes twice!


On Monday we had chicken curry, I used the Slow Cooker range from Schwartz.  I'd never used this product before.  It was really quick and easy to prepare, which is what you want when you're a busy working Mom.  Even before the meal started cooking it smelt amazing!  Throughout the whole day the fragrant aroma of dinner cooking was making my mouth water.  I cooked this for 6 hours on medium and served with boiled rice and chapatis.  There wasn't much sauce but the meal was tasty, not too spicy at all, just a nice mellow curry which was perfect for an evening meal.  I added some natural yoghurt to my dish, not to cool it but just because I love yoghurt with my curry!

Tonight we had beef stew, this was another Schwartz product from the Slow Cooker range, it is beef and ale stew but as baby was having some too, I didn't add the ale.  There wasn't much smell before the meal cooked and throughout the day there was only the hint of aroma.  I cooked this for 6 hours on medium then I turned it down to low as not everyone would be home at the same time for tea (this is why a slow cooker meal on these nights is just perfect!).  The meal was delicious, maybe too much water / juice this time.. but next time I cook this (as there will be a next time) I will add less than the recommended 750ml of liquid (water and ale, although I just added 600ml of liquid).  Everyone enjoyed this meal, I served it with mash and puff pastry.

Do you cook with a slow cooker?  I'd love to hear your recipes and if you've tried the Schwartz range what did you make of it?

This week is also the week of our new Dolce Gusto Genio, isn't it gorgeous?


Our Genio arrived on Tuesday and I LOVE IT!  It's compact and so cute and it makes amazing coffee.  We have £10 credit on the webshop so tonight we're going to order some more pods!

A

No comments: